Shaykh Yasir delves into the events that transpired after Uthman Ibn Affan RA was sent to negotiate with the Quraysh.
As Uthman RA entered Mecca, he was met with stiff opposition. But with the assistance of his cousin, Abaan ibn Saeed ibn Al Aas, he was able to enter Mecca easily.then, Uthman RA met with Abu Sufyan who is his cousin from the Banu Umayyah. The Prophet ﷺ had asked of Uthman RA to meet all the Muslim converts and comfort them and reassure them of Allah’s presence and help. These meetings and negotiations took a longer time than expected and hence the sahabas began to fear for Uthman RA and assumed the worst – that he had been killed.
The rumours reached the ears of the Prophet ﷺ and he decided to avenge the death of Uthman RA. A crier was sent to all the muslims that Jibreel AS has come down to the Prophet ﷺ asking the Muslims to give allegiance to him to pledge to fight the Quraysh to death. This oath was called ‘Bayat Al Ridwan’.1400 sahaba participated in Baiatul Ridwan. As for the pledge of support of Uthman RA, the Prophet SAW himself took the oath on behalf of him. These people are given a status right after the Badriyoon.
When this development reached the Quraysh they sent an official delegation with Mikras ibn Hafs. But it was unsuccessful and hence,the senior most and highest level delegate, Suhail ibn Amr was sent to consolidate a negotiation.
The Prophet ﷺ and Suhail agree to form a treaty and Ali ibn Abi Talib RA was the scribe for this treaty. The following were the terms and conditions of the Treaty of Hudaybiyyah:
- There will be no fighting between the two parties for the next 10 years.
- Any person was free to choose the party he wanted to pledge his support to.
- If any Makkan went to Madinah, then Muslims would return him to Makkah, but if any Muslim from Madinah went to Makkah, he would not be returned.
- That year the Muslims would go back without entering Makkah. And Muhammad ﷺ and his followers could enter Makkah the next year, spend three days and perform Umrah.
This agreement was a blatant disregard for the wishes of the Muslims but Allah had planned a better and far more lucrative deal for the Muslims as shall be seen in the realization of a great victory for the Muslims.
Series by Yasir Qadhi
- Ask Shaykh YQ
- Dua The Weapon of The Believer
- Fiqh of Marriage
- Fiqh of Worship
- Kitab At-Tawheed
- Lives Of The Sahaba
- Mothers of the Believers
- Ramadan 2014 - Tafsir Surah Al-Fatiha
- Ramadan 2015 - Quranic Gems
- Ramadan 2019 - Quranic Duas
- Tafseer Surah Al Kahf
- Tafsir of Surah Yusuf
- The Book of Du'a From Sahih Al-Bukhari
- The Day of Judgement
- The Life in The Barzakh
- The Message of The Quran
- Towards Understanding Surah Yusuf
- Understanding The Traditions of The Signs of Judgement Day
- Ramadan 2016 - Beautiful Names Of Allah
- Ramadan 2017 - Pearls From The Quran
- The Branches of Faith
About Yasir Qadhi
Yasir Qadhi was born in Houston, Texas and completed his primary and secondary education in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. He graduated with a B.Sc. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Houston, after which he was accepted as a student at the Islamic University of Madinah. After completing a diploma in Arabic, he graduated with a B.A. from the College of Hadith and Islamic Sciences. Thereafter, he completed a M.A. in Islamic Theology from the College of Dawah, after which he returned to America and completed his doctorate, in Religious Studies, from Yale University. Currently he is teaching at Rhodes College, in Memphis, TN.