Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan delves an explicit explanation on the Tafsir of Ayatul Kursi. He also provides deep insight on the greatest verse in the Qur’an, Ayat Al Kursi – verse 255 of Surah Al-Baqarah and the occasions on which it should be recited.
It is the most blessed Ayah in the Qur’an because of the content, subject, and style of the verses. It is about the Names, Grandeur, and Majesty of Allah SWT. When should this magnificent Ayah be recited?
- Before going to sleep every night.
- If recited after every single Salah, we have been promised Jannah.
- When we wake up in the morning and in the evening for protection from Shaytan.
Ubayy bin Ka’ab (RA) stated: Allah’s Messenger ﷺ said: “O Abu al-Mundhir, do you know the verse from the Book of Allah which, according to you, is the greatest?” I said: “Allah and His Apostle ﷺ know best.” He again said: “Abu al-Mundhir, do you know the verse from the Book of Allah which, according to you, is the greatest?” I said: “Allah, there is no god but He, the Living, the Eternal.” Thereupon he struck me on my chest and said: “May knowledge be pleasant for you, O Abu al-Mundhir!”
The translation of Ayat Ul Kursi is as follows:
Allah! There is no deity except Him, the Alive, the Eternal. Neither slumber nor sleep overtakes Him. Unto Him belongs whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth. Who is he that intercedes with Him except by His leave? He knows that which is in front of them and that which is behind them, while they encompass nothing of His knowledge except what He will. His throne includes the heavens and the earth, and He is never weary of preserving them. He is the Sublime, the Tremendous.
He then analyses each verse one by one for a beautiful Tafseer:
- “Allah! There is no deity except Him, the Alive, the Eternal.” – This statement means that there is no god but Allah, and He is the Supreme Lord of all creations. Also, there is absolutely nothing worth worshipping, except Him. The Alive, the Eternal means that Allah is Self-Existing and that He is Ever-Living and Everlasting, Who never dies, Who sustains everyone and everything. Nothing can exist without His Order and Will.
- “Neither slumber nor sleep overtakes Him.” – Allah is above and beyond all states of drowsiness or sleep. He is Supreme and is Aware of what every soul earns. Among His perfect attributes is the fact that He is never affected by slumber or sleep. His power is Absolutely Perfect.
- “Unto Him belongs whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth.” – This indicates that everyone is a servant of Allah, under His Power and Authority. Everything on earth or in the heavens is owned by Allah. He is the Ultimate Authority.
- “Who is he that intercedes with Him except by His leave?” – Nobody can intercede in His Presence except by His permission on the Day of Judgment. Allah has explained that no intercession will work in His Court except which He permits.
- “He knows that which is in front of them and that which is behind them.” This refers to His Perfect Knowledge of all creation; including the past, present and future. This is proof of Allah’s Knowledge that encompasses all the worlds.
- “While they encompass nothing of His Knowledge except what He will.” – No one attains any knowledge except that which Allah allows. All-Encompassing Knowledge of every particle in the universe is a unique attribute of none but Allah.
- “His throne includes the heavens and the earth.” – Kursi represents the Throne of Allah. This magnificent verse explains Allah’s Existence, Sovereignty, Power and Knowledge that extends over the heavens and the earth.
- “And He is never weary of preserving them.” – Allah has no trouble in preserving and managing whatever is in the heavens and the earth, and those who are in the Dominion of Allah.
- “He is the Sublime, the Tremendous.” – Allah is the Most Exalted and the Greatest. He is the Most High, the Greatest. There is no deity worthy of worship except Him, and no lord other than Him.
Thus, Ayat al-Kursi gives a summarized description of Allah’s Oneness and His Perfections.
Series by Nouman Ali Khan
- Amazed by the Quran
- Commanding Good & Forbidding Evil
- Explanation Of Surah Al-Fatihah
- Jesus in the Quran
- Ramadan 2018
- Ramadan 2019 Gems
- Reflections On Surah Yaseen
- Reminders of the Last 10 Nights
- Story of Musa and Khidr
- Studying Surah Al Mulk
- Surah Al-Baqarah
- Surah Yusuf
- Tafsir of Juz Amma
- That's Messed Up
- The Attacks Of The Devil
- The Ayah of Ramadan
- The Gulf Tour
- When Muslims Work Together
- Ramadan 2017 With The Quran
About Nouman Ali Khan
Nouman Ali Khan is the founder and CEO of Bayyinah and serves as a lead instructor for several programs including Dream, traveling seminars and Bayyinah TV. His serious Arabic training began in the U.S. in 1999 under Dr. Abdus-Samie, founder and former principal of Quran College in Faisalabad, Pakistan.
Nouman served as a professor of Arabic at Nassau Community College until 2006 when he decided to take Bayyinah on as a full-time project. Since then he has taught more than 10,000 students through traveling seminars and programs. He currently resides in Dallas, Texas and is focusing on teaching his students, developing Arabic curricula and filming material for Bayyinah TV.